A robot is a re-programmable, multi-functional, automatic industrial machine designed to replace human in hazardous work. It can be used as :-
- An automatic machine sweeper
- An automatic car for a child to play with
- A machine removing mines in a war field
- In space
- In military , and many more..
WHAT IS ROBOTICS
Robotics is science of designing or building an application of robots. Simply ,Robotics may be defines as “The Study of Robots”. The aim of robotics is to design an efficient robot.
WHY IS ROBOTICS NEEDED
Robotics is needed because:-
- Can work in hazardous/dangerous temperature
- Can do repetitive tasks
- Can do work with accuracy
COMMON TYPES OF ROBOTICS
i) Mobile robots
ii) Stationary robots
iii) Autonomous robotics
iv) Remote controlled robots
v) Virtual robots
Mobile robots are of two types….
Rolling robots have wheels to move around. They can quickly and easily search.
However they are only useful in flat areas.
Robots on legs are usually brought in when the terrain is rocky. Most robots have at least 4 legs; usually they have 6 or more.
Robots are not only used to explore areas or imitate a human being. Most robots perform repeating tasks without ever moving an inch. Most robots are ‘working’ in industry settings and are stationary.
Autonomous robots are self supporting or in other words self contained. In a way they rely on their own ‘brains’.
REMOTE CONTROLLED ROBOTS
A person can guide a robot by remote control. A person can perform difficult and usually dangerous tasks without being at the spot where the tasks are performed.
Virtual robots don’t exits In real life. Virtual robots are just programs, building blocks of software inside a computer.
- Going to far away planets.
- Going far down into the unknown waters and mines where humans would be crushed
- Giving us information that humans can’t get
- Working at places 24/7 without any salary and food. Plus they don’t get bored
- They can perform tasks faster than humans and much more consistently and accurately
- Most of them are automatic so they can go around by themselves without any human interference.
- People can lose jobs in factories
- It needs a supply of power
- It needs maintenance to keep it running .
- It costs money to make or buy a robot